[AG-TECH] Problems using AG Connector

Adam Carter adam at epcc.ed.ac.uk
Mon Nov 7 06:47:14 CST 2005

Hi to anyone who's tried out AG Connector...

Michael Braitmaier and I spent about an hour this morning experimenting with
AG Connector. We're having some difficulties getting it to work, and I
wonder if anyone could cast some light on the problem. We tried various
different combinations of Multicast/Unicast/UMTP and we tried running UMTP
servers at both of our own sites, all to no avail.

It seems to be the case that if you have working multicast, the AG Connector
agent notices this and reverts to multicast. Is this true?

We're using the set-up with what seems to be half-broken multicast:
Edinburgh can see Stuttgart, but Stuttgart can't see Edinburgh. When
Edinburgh connects with UMTP, the server (in Stuttgart, on a different
network) claims "You are multicast-reachable from Server." and apparently
reverts to multicast.

Has anyone else observed this behaviour? Is this a bug in AG Connector?

Thanks,

--
Dr Adam Carter, Applications Consultant, EPCC, The University of Edinburgh
adam at epcc.ed.ac.uk | +44 131 650 6009 | http://www.epcc.ed.ac.uk/~adam