[AG-TECH] AG (PIG) setup using DSL Modem and vendor router

Andrew Patrick Andrew.Patrick at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Thu Nov 3 16:00:36 CST 2005

I am able to use the AG from home using a DSL connection and a Linksys router
using unicast connections to an appropriate bridged venue.

In order to receive video, you have to setup port forwarding so that the video
packets that arrive on arbitrary ports at your router are directed to the proper
machine on your home network. I typically forward UDP ports in the range 50,000
to 65,000 to my AG machine as needed for an AG session, and the turn off the
forwarding when I am done. Audio does not require this kind of treatment.

Bandwidth is an issue depending on the quality of your connection and the number
and types of streams you are receiving. You will want to have a look at the AG
Venue Customizer (AVC; http://iit130033.iit.nrc.ca/AVC/), which we developed for
just this purpose. AVC allows you to specifiy if bandwidth should be scaled in
some fashion. You would set this up in a venue prior to an event, and then have
the participants run AVC in client mode to tune their transmission rates to
something that everyone will be able to handle. In our experience, this works
great when some of the participants are connecting from home.

Software firewalls, such as Sygate or Zone Alarm, which you should be running at
home, will likely cause performance problems. In my experience these products
cannot process the real-time packets fast enough. Typically, I have to reboot
the machine with these services disabled prior to an AG session, and then
reconfigure them when I am done.

--
Andrew Patrick, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist
E-mail: Andrew.Patrick at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
WWW - NRC:  http://iit-iti.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
WWW - Personal: http://www.andrewpatrick.ca
Phone: (613) 991-3374   Fax: (613) 952-7151  Cell/SMS: (613) 277-9211