[AG-TECH] AccessGrid 3: What information is available

Rhys Hawkins Rhys.Hawkins at anu.edu.au
Mon May 23 19:44:48 CDT 2005

> The reasons of lack of improvements on the core communication tools of
> the AG (vic and rat)
> may be due to their inflexible architecture.
> We also think VIC & RAT should be replaced by one of
> new framework and new architecture to improve it's useability and
> extensibility.

Agreed! Parts of VIC/RAT are worth reusing (eg libcommon) but I think
its time to get rid of the TCL/TK reliance. I think there is enough
people working in the area of video tools for the AccessGrid to start
a community development aimed a replacing VIC in the AG.

The Argonne group have talked about it, but have their hands full
on the toolkit. And there are several groups/people who are doing
video "stuff" in the AG, eg JongWon Kim et al (DV and HDTV), Barz
(MPEG4 and H.264), Hiroyuki Komatsu (AGPager), Colin Perkins (HDTV),
us (VP).

Who out there would be willing to contribute to a community driven
development for a new AG video tool? If there is enough interest then
the new AG Community Portal by Darran might be an appropriate venue
to start from.

I'm keen to contribute if you didn't realise yet :)

> Before the day comes out, we would continue to make these tools (vic
> &rat) better.
> BTW, we plan to release MPEG4/H.264-enable vic and
> software based acoustic echo cancellation-enable rat in the late June.

I look forward to it.

Cheers,
    Rhys