[AG-TECH] AccessGrid 3: What information is available

Thomas D. Uram turam at mcs.anl.gov
Thu May 19 15:31:46 CDT 2005

Brian:

I agree that we need to make more information available.  While we've discussed changes
slated for the AG3 release in various forums (retreats, supercomputing, townhalls) over
the past year or so, this information is not widely available to the community.  We'll
work to remedy that with some descriptions of the path forward, which we can put up on the
project webpages.  That'll help to inform the community generally and encourage developer
discussion.  Until then, the most recent description of toolkit changes can be found in my
slides from the retreat, specifically the last few pages which compare 2.x to 3.x and list
some new functionality:

http://www.mcs.anl.gov/fl/flevents/ag/agr05/talks/agr05_uram_T_overview.pdf

I remember the question of 'impact on existing shared apps and node services' coming up at
the retreat.  My response to it was that, by virtue of the existing architecture, shared
apps and node services should be largely isolated from changes we will make in the AG3
cycle.  There will certainly be some changes required, but it's a priority to me that the
  changes be minimized as much as possible.

I'd like to remedy any lack of information that's out there, and you'll see efforts in the
near term to do so.  While we're in this intermediate state, let us know of questions so
we can address them.

Tom