[AG-TECH] Portable AG node

John I Quebedeaux Jr johnq at lsu.edu
Wed Mar 30 14:12:38 CST 2005

Natalia,

I hate to say it this way... but it depends. That's one of the things
about the AG is that it IS so flexible for the environment you are
putting it into. Will you use the portable in a small room, large room,
auditorium, etc? everywhere?

I'm currently upgrading our portable node and putting as much
flexibility and power into as small a box i can get was one of my
dilemmas. I'm still looking at motherboard slot configurations, etc.
I'm going to be trying out one of those quad-capture cards...

However: this is what my current portable node looks like below (LSU's
portable node is affectionately named "Wilbur the PIG")

two 15" LCD monitors
one dual head AGP Matrox card (I forget which)
one quad head PCI Nvidia card (I forget which)
two Canon VC-C4 cameras
one Sony EVI-D100 camera
3 tripods
wireless keyboard and mouse
one trackerpod quickcam (WDM) for operator
three osprey 100 capture cards
on board audio/network (100mbit on this one)
CPU is a dual 2.2 xeon running XP(SP2)
XAP400
one wireless lapel mic
i borrow crown mics from my full node as needed for inputs 2-4
pair of genelec 1029A speakers
surgeprotector/filter
50' to 100' of just about every cable - well shielded s-video cables
btw.

my upgrade will speed up the CPU/motherboard, replace the video card
with a single quad card, put in a single capture card, have audio and
firewire and gigabit. I'm going to add a 2nd wireless mic (for audience
on a stand) and a couple of table mics I can attach. I'll upgrade the
cart - pneumatic tires probably or build a split "cart" where the top
and bottom are removable for easier travel in vehicles. I've taken
Wilbur all over the state. Fortunately, this design fits in the back
"well" of my van (where the back seat folds up into). Note, the tripods
do fold up small enough to fit inside the cart. EVERYTHING fits on the
cart.

The bottom half of this card holds ALL the cameras, cables, etc. The
top half holds the CPU, echo canceler, wireless receiver, monitors, and
speakers (velcro holds them in place during the long rolls across
campus). There is even a plastic cover (see picture with umbrella in
the corner?) that keeps it dry in the event of a sudden down pour
(which has happened... it's Louisiana, thunderstorms happen). =)

The reason for the mismatch on the cameras is that i ended up with a
spare camera from another project... and two cameras is NOT enough.
I'll even say 3 isn't, but 3 is okay.

The cart is a rubbermaid cart... we removed the drawer section in the
top half, put a plywood board in for more support (that CPU is heavy),
and cut one small hole for the cables into the bottom half where we
have a powerstrip/surge protector.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Basically though, this has allowed most
of the flexibility I needed - I have a spare projector but it's not
that bright and i have to rely on the installed projectors in rooms I
go to, but 1 projector isn't enough (no one seems to understand that
until they see our full node in action). They keep wanting to squeeze
everything into one screen. Argh. Terrible.

-John Q.