[AG-TECH] FC3 on Video machine not recognize video capture cards

Supreeya Miller supreeya.miller at usm.edu
Tue Mar 15 11:35:08 CST 2005

Douglas,

The attach file is the output of the command /etc/lspci.

Looking at the file, the video capture controllers don't seem right.

Let me say in detail how I got this problem:
	The Display machine has lost the use of one of the two
processors.  The processor died by itself.  I have been operating on one
processor for so long.  It came to the point that the Display became
sticky, where I couldn't not move or do anything.  The Task Manager
indicated that the CPU uses was at 100%.  Then I thought of switching
between the Display and Video machines since the Video machine had 2
processors.  I then took the 4 video capture cards out of the Video
machine and put them in the Display machine.  At this point the Video
machine was working just fine.  I had been using it since 2001.
	Just my luck that the Video machine saw the Windows XP cd ,but
it would not install.  I got the DOS looking screen saying that the
"Setup is configuring your hardware", then the screen went blank
forever.  Then I used a DOS floppy disk and used the command "fdisk
/mbr".  So that the machine would not recognize Linux anymore.  I still
could not install Windows.
	I gave up and put the video capture cards back in the Video
machine.  Since I lost Linux because of the fdisk command.  I
reinstalled FC3 then AG2.3.  I ran the setup for a new node and found
out that the machine does not see the cards.  I ran a "vic" command.  It
said "trying /dev/video0...open: no such file or directory" for all
video0, video1, video2, and video3.
	I look at the .AccessGrid directory and see no LocalService
directory.

Anything that you see wrong here?

Supreeya Miller
Visualization Researcher and Access Grid coordinator
Center of Higher Learning
Building 1103, Visualization Lab
Stennis Space Center,  MS  39529
Phone: 228-688-2190