[AG-TECH] venue connection issues for new AG user

Julia Mullen julia.mullen at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 15:23:26 CDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

I am embarking on the task of bringing many new, and some jaundiced
users to the AG.  (Some have tried and never had succesfull meetings,
so
I need help to make this work really well.)  The current issue that we are
up against is someone installing AG2.3 on a vanilla Thinkpad41 - with vanilla
(aka default) settings for norton virus.  He consistently gets the
'cannot connect to the venue server' message.

He also gets a message from Norton saying 'we have detected and
internet worm - pythonw' but we have blocked it.

In the first case, we went through the archived ag-tech list and deleted teh
PYTHONCASEOK environment setting - he followed up with the suggestions
from the AG tech archive, but still he cannot connect.

ideas?  our email thread is below.  I will see if I can get the log - but
even the Norton issue sounds funny - this with Norton 2005.

Thanks,

  Julie