[AG-TECH] JPEGVideoService

Andrew Rowley Andrew.Rowley at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Jun 3 03:57:53 CDT 2005

Hi,

I just want to reiterate that the vic JPEG video service is NOT compatible
with ScreenStreamer.  Using ScreenStreamer to transmit the screen on the
same multicast address and port as JPEG vic will in all probability crash
JPEG vic.

For anyone who is interested, it would appear that this is a bug in the JPEG
codec in vic - this does not seem to handle the case where the JPEG packets
are split in a certain way.  The alternative is that the JPEG codec in JMF
does not split the packets correctly.  However, ScreenStreamer can handle
any sending by JPEG vic so I would guess that it is the JPEG vic decoding
that is broken to some extent.  If anyone knows why this might be happening,
I would like to know what the problem is.  The workaround is that you need
to set ScreenStreamer up to minimise the splitting of the packets e.g. set
the quality low and reduce the size of the sending transmission, or of
course just use ScreenStreamer at both ends using a different multicast
address and port.

Andrew :)

Access Grid Support Centre,
RSS Group,