[AG-TECH] If you use an NVidia Video Card and Fedora, this may affect you.

Jason Bell j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Tue Jul 19 21:23:10 CDT 2005

G'day All

I know that some of you are out there are running your Access Grids on
Fedora, and I just wanted to warn you about a Bug that I stumbled across
when I upgraded my kernel using "yum" which cause my system to no longer
boot and kernel panic.

This bug is in regards to systems that use the nvidia kernel module.  In
which the NVidia kernel module, as packaged by the livna.org folks had a
typo in their spec file, which could damage /etc/modprobe.conf.  This in
turn causes mkinitrd to no longer be able to detect your sata/scsi
controller when you boot into that kernel, which causes a kernel panic
as it is unable to find its root file system.

(See
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2005-July/msg00058.
html)

Hope this helps some of you.

Cheers,
Jason.

Jason Bell, B.I.T.
B. Info. Tech. (Honours) Student

Network Engineer
Information Technology Division
Central Queensland University

High Performance Computing Support Officer
Central Queensland University

Research Assistant to the Nonlinear Intelligent Systems Research Group
Faculty of Informatics & Communication Central Queensland University

E-mail : j.bell at cqu.edu.au
Phone : 07 4930 9229

Patience is a virtue.

But if I wanted Patience,