[AG-TECH] 5.1 audio and AG

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 27 10:09:37 CST 2005

John,

It really depends on how many sources you will have.  Usually
there are enough outputs on a Gentner/ClearOne - an XAP gives
you 12 - but you may run out of inputs.  Again there are 12, of
which 8 can use the echo canceller (and other) features and the
remaining 4 can just be routed and faded in/out onto the outputs.

If you have 6 mics (e.g. 4 audience, 1 podium, 1 radiomic), that
takes up 6 of your 'mic' inputs (fully featured) channels.  Input
and output to the AG system will take up 2 more ins and outs,
although the ins can be on simple inputs.  That leaves you just
4 ins (2 full, 2 simple).  If you want to put raw 5.1 input through
the system, you're stuffed!  If you want to put matrixed 5.1
through, and split out to 5.1 afterwards, you're OK, but that makes
it harder to control the speakers - you might land up with a 5.1
speaker system AND a stereo speaker system for AG.

You could look at an expansion unit (I think it has a model
number with 1212 in to, which gives you an idea how many ins
and outs it adds) and if you route the extra ins to the groups
(I forget what Gentner/ClearOne call them) they are shared with
the XAP800, IIRC.

We've just done something similar (although without 5.1 sound)
for a room where the XAP800 is shared between the general AV
and VC required for the room, and the AG.  We needed a small
(control-less) mixer to bring sources together (VCR, DVD etc..)
that would not be used simultaneously.  It feeds a single pair
of Gentner inputs.

HTH

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597
CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]

http://lbrn.lsu.edu &
http://cct.lsu.edu
phone: 225-578-0062 / fax: 225-578-2597