[AG-TECH] Bridging and Vic on a single machine multi-camera node

Christoph Willing willing at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Jan 26 16:48:46 CST 2005

On 27/01/2005, at 7:49 AM, Hill, NM (Nick) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about bridging an AG session on a multi-camera single
> machine node as it is not working properly for me. My understanding of
> this
> is as follows but may be wrong:
>
> When using multicast then you can have multiple Vics running and they
> all
> pick up the multicast channels and all is fine. If you switch to a
> bridge
> then multiple Vics uses unicast to transmit out to the bridge OK but
> all try
> to bind to the same incoming ports so the vic for display doesn't
> receive
> anything and just sits "Waiting for Video".
>
> I cannot really see how this can work on a single machine node with
> multiple
> cameras but I'm willing to be told I'm wrong and informed how to do
> it! It
> doesn't do it by default.
>
> The only solution I have tried that works is to use two bridges. The
> first
> bridge is used for the Vics providing camera output and the second
> bridge to
> point a Vic at to get all the incoming streams. This rather defeats the
> object of the neat Multicast/Unicast switch in the Venue server as you
> have
> to manually run the vic to the second bridge to get the incoming
> streams :-(
>
> This is of course irrelevant for either a multi-machine node or a PIG
> with
> one camera.
>
> Any help for a multi-camera single node machine greatly appreciated,

Nick,

You're not trying to run a bridge on your single machine AG node
itself, are you? Thats a no-no.

Don't run the bridge on any machine that you're likely to be running
vic or rat on, for exactly the reason you describe - multiple
applications trying to bind to the port already being used by the
bridge.

chris

Christoph Willing                        Ph: +61 7 3365 8350
QPSF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland