[AG-TECH] How to develop a new service for AG?

Michael Braitmaier braitmaier at hlrs.de
Wed Jan 26 09:40:23 CST 2005

Hello everyone!

I am currently in the process of writing a small service for AG which
basically just calls a program with multicast-ip/port/ttl. Nothing to
configure here. So basically it is like rat. Still it is not of type audio
or video. Therefore I assumed to introduce a new capability e.g. IMAGE .
Additionally I thought I could take the AudioService.py script as a basis
and just modify it as the tool I want to integrate into a service behaves
the same way as rat does.

When I thought about the port configuration of my new service, I relaized
that ports are specified in the Venue Management tool of the VenueServer.
The section for modifiying the ports there seem to be quite hardcoded
without space for other services. Is that true? Do I have to extend the
Venue Managment Tool and add a new entry for the new service which would be
quite of much effort? Or is there a dynamic way where the Venue Managament
Tool adapts on existing services? The same seems to apply for the
capability. If I add a new one I have to change quite a lot of code through
out the whole AG.

Another question is about what I have to obbey considering the
streamsDescription creation as well as the setting of the streamDescription
if I can influence them at all.

Thanks so far.
Michael

Dipl.-Inf. Michael Braitmaier
HLRS - Visualization / Video Conferencing
University of Stuttgart
Germany
Website: http://www.hlrs.de/organization/vis/people/braitmaier/