[AG-TECH] AG 2.3

Glover George dcunited at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 10:23:07 CST 2005

Hi all,
I'll ask the RTM question first.... Is there a searchable archive for
the ag-tech mailing list?  I think it's a little much to ask for
people to scan through month by month looking for answers, and would
eliminate questions like the ones I'm about to ask.

We were sort of blind sided (our fault) by the AG 1.x retirement, and
have been forced to once again attempt to install version 2.x (2.3
now).  It is an understatement to say "try".  We tried to follow the
instructions on the ag site, but things seem to be a little outdated.
For instance, it says for multiple machine based node setups, you
should go to each machine, and run AGServiceManager.py, and then run
AGNodeService on the display machine.  I am at a loss as to where an
AGNodeService.py file is.  So should I even be using that
documentation?

Now what we did, and the errors that came.  Installed AG 2.3 on Audio
(linux, RH9), Video (linux, RH9), and Display (Windows XP).  I tried
to run AGService manager on the audio and video, but didn't have any
identity.  So on each of the linux machines, i ran the VenueClient
once to import the certificate and create a proxy, and then exited.
Ag Service manager then ran and presented a URL for each of the
machines.  I did the same thing on the windows xp display machine as
well.  Then with all three machines running AG service manager, we ran
the  Node Setup Wizard from the windows xp display machine.  (Side
note: if there already exists a configuration, it won't let you save
another one over it, we realized this when we had to remove the
.AccessGrid directory and start from scratch after a few attempts just
to get it to save and quit giving errors).

When we then run the venue client on the windows xp machine, first of
all the configuration doean's load the display machine in the service
managers (which we DID specify in the setup, probably another small
bug).  We had to go manually add it to the service managers, and add
the video consumer service.  After tinkering with it, we finally got
the video machine and display machine somewhat working.  However, the
audio machine, even though it shows the audio service enabled in the
node management on the display machine, no rat ever appears on the
audio machine.  There are, however, 3 rat processes listed with the
one labeled rat-media defunct (zombie process).

1. In this setup where does the rat show up? on the audio machine
correct?  Any ideas why it might be dying?  Permission on the audio
devices are 666 and shouldn't be a problem.

2. Why does the venue client take so long to run and change rooms?
Does this happen to everyone, or should I be looking for problems?
(by long i mean, on the order of 30+ seconds).

TIA,
Cheers.

--
We are all sufferers from history, but the paranoid is a double
sufferer, since he is afflicted not only by the real world, with the