[AG-TECH] RHFC2, CX88xx driver, vic problem

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue Jan 11 06:49:59 CST 2005

Hi Many,

> Just installing AG2.3 on a linux box and am having a bunch of trouble. I'm
> using AGTK2.3 rpms for RHFC2 from
> http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~grangenet/ag_fedora/ everything went fine. I've
> also gone ahead and upgraded all the software on RH install (man there was
> like 150 of those suckers.....). Right now I have a uptodate RHFC2 install
> with AGTK2.3 installed. Venueclient works fine (imported cert and
> everything).
>
> The problem is Vic (I extracted it from /etc/Accessgrid/..... path and am
> running it from command line). It works fine when I run it or transmit X11
> stuff but as soon as I choose one of the video devices and transmit the
> options menu locks up (well the whole app locks up).
>
> Now I looked around a bit and latest version of xawtv (which I downloaded
> and compiled) works flawlessly with all 4 video devices (they are cx88xx
> chips.....atleast from lsmod output).

Vic uses the older V4L API, not the newer V4L2 API. Unfortunately, using
xawtv has only proved that the CX88xx native V4L2 calls are working
flawlessly for you, not how good the V4L compatibility layer is working.

Some V4L2 drivers have pathetic V4L compatibilty layers, some don't even
implement the V4L compatibilty layer. Sorry, I don't know what the state of
V4L layer of the CX88xx driver is, as I've never used a CX88xx capture card.

> So anyways....totally lost right now....about to go down to FC1 just to
> get kernel 2.4.....what a mess :-)

As far as I know, there in no native V4L cx88xx driver, so in order to get
some CX88xx support with kernel 2.4, a V4L2 patch would need to be applied .
It's a real mess to apply the patch for the Red Hat modified 2.4 kernel that
FC1 uses and at the end of it, you'll be in the same postion as FC2, using
the V4L2 compatibility layer.

Doug