[AG-TECH] What Version of OS X for Macs Works?

kathy gill kegill at u.washington.edu
Mon Feb 21 21:51:40 CST 2005

Short Story:
Last week, I was running OS 10.3.7 ... and I successfully installed the
software needed to support AG client and got the client to work.
Tonight, with 10.3.8 -- my system freezes.

Long Story:
I could not get our dept Logitech camera to work, so I bought an iSight.
It wouldn't work either.

I spent about an hour troubleshooting the hardware with apple support -
they deduced I needed to reinstall the OS. They also suggested that I
upgrade to the latest version of the OS, which came out on 10 Feb. I did
due diligence and saw no reported bugs that affected my configuration,
so I did it.

I wasn't thinking about AG - and that it might not work with 10.3.8. :-/

The fresh install left the AG client in the Applications folder. There
was no obvious way to uninstall the AG client except to drag it to the
trash.

I downloaded and reinstalled Python etc in the right order. Ran
permissions utility.

Click the AG Icon and enable the Acess Grid Launcher; click Venue client
and it launches that window.

Use My Venues to go to DruidMedia (don't know why these bookmarks remain
available?) lobby.

The "waiting for video" window opens.

Then X11 launches a terminal-type window; last week, that window went
away. Now, the system freezes at this stage -- a hard reboot is
required. :-/

So the problem seems to be with X11. Yes? No?

I'm assuming that I need to reinstall the OS again and not install the
latest update.

Words of wisdom appreciated.

Kathy