[AG-TECH] VIC performance

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Mon Feb 21 09:02:39 CST 2005

Natalia,

It's difficult to provide feedback without knowing a bit more.
The total video rate will depend on the processor speed,
graphics card, etc., but mostly on the network bandwidth
the display machine is seeing.

We had a single processor 1.4 GHz Athlon with a G200 (4 output)
display card, and response became poor above about 20/25
windows, over 100 Mbit/sec Ethernet.  As you've got problems
with half that number of windows, and I doubt you are running
a slower machine or slower graphics card, I would think the
network might be the problem.  Sorry - I'm not a network person,
so someone else will have to help you solve that if that is what
the problem is.

Just in case you aren't aware of this: if you are running the
echo canceller software (APware or Gware) on the display
machine, make sure it is at lowest priority (set it via Task
Manager).  In our case the windows became sticky (difficult to
move on the screens) rather than the frame rate dropping
if we didn't do this, but it might be useful anyway.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597
CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]