[AG-TECH] Take Your Sons & Daughter to Work Day

Locatis, Craig (NIH/NLM/LHC) locatis at nlm.nih.gov
Wed Feb 16 14:11:17 CST 2005

We participated last year and it was pretty informal.  Some of the sites had
scheduled tours in the work place and could be very specific about when
children would be coming through their nodes.  Other sites had more of an
open house.

Basically, the coordinators at the participating sites indicated the
approximate times they'd be online.  Most coordinators agreed that they to
try to be present (at least at certain times) to talk to any children at the
other end points.  Sometimes there would children at more than one
participating site and sometimes there would only be coordinators.

It appeared to me that most of the children were pleased enough to just see
themselves on the video and have an opportunity to chat briefly with others.
The schedules were so diverse and the children's ages varied so much, it was
hard to do much more.

I think the important thing is to decide 1) what venue will be used and 2)
who wants to participate.  Those nodes wanting to participate can indicate
which hours for their time zone that they intend to have a presence in the
chosen venue.  Some one could monitor the postings, collect the individual
times, and publish the composite times to the AG list the day before so
everyone would have an idea when and when not to expect others being
present.

I don't mind offering our venue under government institutions on the
institutional venue server and I don't mind collecting the time postings as
well....providing those interested will be willing to indicate in advance
when they'd be online and stick to their schedules.

Craig Locatis

US National Library of Medicine