[AG-TECH] Take Your Daughters and Sons to Work Day

shudo at ni.aist.go.jp shudo at ni.aist.go.jp
Wed Feb 16 00:34:53 CST 2005

From: shudo at ni.aist.go.jp

> > trivial pursuit is good - is there a way to make this international?
> >
> > if so, what activity crosses cultural lines?
>
> Assuming that you are in charge of operating a Daughters and Sons
> Day event between US and Korea, US and Japan, or US and Thailand,
> what do you do?
>
> What do you mean by `international'?

I am sincerely interested in what each of us means by "international".
Anyway, I try to be more productive.

It is good for us to aware of the following facts (, which you might
have already noticed):

I also believe "Take Your Child to Work Day" is a very good
opportunity to understand each other for families.
But, what cultures/countries have the event?
It was initiated in the U.S. in 1993.
Several additional cultures/countries may have such an event
but it is not widely known at least in Japan.

Trivial pursuit is not always known to outside US.

Children from multiple cultures/countries generally do not have a
common language.  English is a very important common means to
communicate but the number of people whose native or second language
is English is only 800 million (and others who can speak English are
about 800 million).  I am sure over 95 % of K-12 children in Japan
cannot speak English as I was so.

I do not think all events should be international, but AG people has
especially many opportunities to have global/diversity awareness. I
hope my point of view helps.

  Kazuyuki Shudo
  Grid Technology Research Center
  National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST)