[AG-TECH] Why record AG conferences

Kathy Gill kegill at u.washington.edu
Tue Feb 15 11:54:10 CST 2005

Derek Piper wrote:

>     I have a sort of 'Devil's advocate' question to ask everyone on the
> list. It's this, what are the main reasons why someone would want to
> record AccessGrid conferences? Also, what about invasion of privacy
> concerns?

I'm breaking my personal "lurk for a while before posting" rule to
respond. ;-)

We are using the AG software to collaborate with a University in China
on a project that is being run out of Drexel U in Philly -- with, I
believe, 12 universities from around the world.

This is a project in digital media creation and collaboration across
cultures.

We are all novices at this -- both the faculty and students.

We plan to use a screen capture software (3rd party) to record the
sessions. There are many reasons; here are a few:

-- A record of who has agreed to do what, minimizing the pressure on the
"recorder" who must, like the other students, cope with accents and
non-traditional English phrasing. This should help the students relax a
bit at the start of the project, while everything is new: the tech, the
process, the team members.

-- A record of the project for archival reasons.

-- A record of the inter-cultural dynamic, for possible research
application.

We are well aware of the privacy issue and, at least in our group, the
students must agree to be recorded for the recording to happen. The
University of Washington's "human subjects" review process is also in
place, even though this is characterized as "low risk".

About me:
I teach in the University of Washington's Department of Communication,
Masters Degree in Digital Media (terminal degree). My undergraduate
degree is in journalism (UGA), my master's in agricultural economics
(VPI). I worked in communication for about 15 years before being bitten
with the "Web Bug" in 93 or 94. I transitioned to tech communication and
web development/usability/IA. I've been teaching since the late 90s,
first helping techies learn how to communicate and now helping
communication students learn about technology. :)

My main research interest is how new media tools facilitate
communication and collaboration across space and time ... until this
project, I had focused on blogging, specifically as a form of
participatory journalism.

TAFN!

Kathy

--