[AG-TECH] Rigging up a Temporary AG Node

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 04:10:19 CST 2005

John,

A few thoughts...

The choice between option a and the rest depends on the requirement,
not on the implementation!

Even in option b (lapel mic) the person with the mic needs to be
able to hear the far end; if this is via a loudspeaker, that means
the mic will hear it too and you will have echo problems.

Option d: don't even think of using switches - put all mics through
a mixer with linear faders and LABEL THE FADERS!  While the person
on the mixer has to stay awake, it's not an impossible task - I
regularly do it for meetings where 20 people share 10 gooseneck
mics and extra people are on mics on stands.  However ...

Whenever you change the 'acoustics' of your room (person walking
round with lapel mic, muting mics, flying faders up and down) you
are in danger of disturbing echo canceller balance.  In principle,
if you don't have an echo canceller and everyone else does, you
can get away with it by muting the incoming audio while anyone
at your end is speaking, and muting your outgoing audio when no-one
is, but this adds considerably to the mixer operator's workload.
Also the operator has a difficult decision to make if someone
remote replies to you before your end has finished speaking!

One consideration is how much your site's participation may
disrupt the remote meeting; only experience will answer that!

We also have a 150-200 seater auditorium from which we do
meetings - mainly video conferences so far, but the principles
are the same.  We find that handheld radiomics are the only
successful solution to getting questions from the floor to
remote sites.  Ceiling mics, rifle mics and mics in aisles on
stands have all been tried and all work worse and/or are more
confusing than handheld radiomics.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of
the intended recipient only.  If you are not the intended recipient
do not take any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]