[AG-TECH] Rigging up a Temporary AG Node

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 10 03:17:24 CST 2005

I have need to setup an AccessGrid temporarily, and was seeking advice as to
whether it's even remotely reasonable.

We currently have a multi-machine room based installation of AG2 working just
nicely.  But sadly it's in a room with a capacity of about 12.  I've had a
request to setup an AccessGrid in a completely different room in the
university for a conference demo with approximately 120 people.  I'm not
willing to tear apart our existing setup for one event.

Now I'm assuming this room has a projector and a set of usable speakers.  I
guess I could setup a laptop/shuttle with a camera or two.  But what would
anyone suggest for the microphone end of the bargain?  Do I have any hope of
setting this up in any meaningful way without hardware echo cancellation?

I guess the three possibilities I see are:

a) Read Only.  It's just a demo, don't let anyone participate.  Hence no need
    for microphones.   Just view lots of other people having a meeting.

b) Just one person participating, with a small lapel/headset microphone making
    the echo cancellation a little easier.

c) Multiple microphones with full on associated nightmare

d) A gimp sat at the machine flicking switches faster than colossus to mute
    everything that doesn't need to be on.

Rental Gentner?

jh

--
"A good scientist is a person with original ideas.  A good engineer is a
person who makes a design that works with as few original ideas as possible.