[AG-TECH] AG tools on SPARC/SOlaris platforms?

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Feb 3 07:03:11 CST 2005

> H'mm I seem to have been very confusing in what I said. Sorry
> about that.

It looks like I sounded a bit reactive too, I didn't feel that way when I
wrote it so I hope you didn't take it that way.

> > > Well I'm sitting at a Sun desktop at the moment so I'm interested
> > > but its difficult to justify too much effort in this direction.
> >
> > How come it's hard to justify the effort? I'd be interested in the
> > reasoning...
> >

> I meant I'M to busy to put much time in myself not that the exercise
>        ^^^
> itself is not a great idea.

Yeah, I was thinking that was the most likely explanation, but I was also
thinking sun desktops are probably a shrinking percentage of user desktops.
The value of the diminishing return might just not be there for any core
developers to undertake. Unless somehow it becomes possible to write the
whole thing in java someday in the future...

> > > I have used the UCL sparc versions to monitor AG sessions from my
> > > desk The one issue I have seen is some Solaris sound
> capture setups
> > > seem to impose a very long time delay. Its probably worth
> checking
> > > manually run vic/rat works ok before pushing ahead with
> the python
> > > stuff.
> >
> > It's a good idea to get the basic C/C++ based media tools verified,
> > but that last sentence seems to imply there's a performance
> > relationship between the media tools and python layer of
> the toolkit
> > which is quite untrue. The most interaction that occurs is
> equivalent
> > (if not exactly) forking and killing the media tool
> processes, which
> > should transfer any performance issues from the python
> layer to the tools.
> >
> That implication was not intended at all. I only meant to
> warn that I have had problems with the solaris sound system
> in the past and that it would be prudent to check for
> problems in that area early on in case its a major show-stopper.

Ah, that makes more sense. I apologize if my response sounded like an
attack; it was definitely not intended as one. And thanks for sharing the
experience you have, we'll all be better off if we can leverage each others'
experience.

--Ivan