[AG-TECH] Conference XP vs AG

Patrick Bristow pbristow at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 31 19:17:37 CDT 2005

I'll jump in here, as I think Chris is busy (and doing things that
involve my yearly review, which I'd prefer he keep working on! ;)

So I also don't know a lot about the ability to tie services together
across AG machines, but I think I understand the basic functionality.
In my understanding, the only difference between what AG allows and
simply putting two computers in the venue is that with the AG, you're
more clearly representing that the machines belong to only one logical
"participant" or room.

CXP will happily allow you to just setup two computers and put them each
in the venue, both with a set of cameras attached, etc.  However, there
are no provisions for tying the two logically together, and we won't
make the experience any easier or harder for you.

For Derek, you can easily override the identity of the participant by
one of two methods:

* From the commandline/shortcut - e.g. "cxpclient.exe -e client at ms.com"
* By adding this entry in the CXPClient.exe.config file,
<add key="MSR.LST.ConferenceXP.Identity.Identifieroverride"
value="another email address"/>

I think that by just running the client separately on both machines &
doing the Identifier Override as necessary will give a very similar
experience to the way the AG makes the two machines "appear as one".
Perhaps the only odd thing is that you'll see both/all machines in the
venue, but you can make more clear by just setting the profile name
field to be similar, such as "Argonne, Room 112, #1" and "Argonne, Room
112, #2".

Please correct me if I'm wrong about the AG functionality.  I'm not an
experienced AG user.

Thanks,
Patrick