[AG-TECH] Conference XP vs AG

Todd Zimmerman toddz at sfu.ca
Wed Aug 31 12:25:18 CDT 2005

Chris Moffatt wrote:
> Hi Derek,
>
> Regarding audio/video - you are correct that you can't logically tie a/v
> devices across multiple machines, and I'd like to better understand the
> scenario that this serves? We can however support multiple cameras per
> computer.

<snip>

Hi Chris,

In our case, this capability is very important for a couple of reasons.  First is the basic reason
that has been described already - spreading the load.  Our theatre node drives 4 displays and has
three captures.  While I may be able to pull that off with one machine, why would I do that when I
can easily split the tasks to two machines?  This frees up the display machine to possibly do other
tasks also (running remote visualization software etc) without getting bogged down.

Secondly, I think you are correct that currently the main purpose is the ability to 'tie a/v devices
across multiple machines'; however, the nice part about the servicemanager/services infrastructure
is that it is completely extensible.  It doesn't have to be about typical a/v at all.  Instead of
having an audioservice or a videoservice, imagine having a 3D visualization service - which may
require the control of a specialized display or a specialized set of devices etc.  With this
infrastructure, we are capable of building our own specific services that are controlled easily and
centrally.

Just my $0.02... (Actually, that's Canadian dollars too, so its probably only worth about a $0.015
to you... ;-) )

Todd

--
Collaboration & Visualization Technician
WestGrid - www.westgrid.ca
Todd Zimmerman - toddz at sfu.ca