[AG-TECH] 'Warbled' Sound under Linux

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Aug 16 04:39:51 CDT 2005

I've had this problem before, and managed to escape it through upgrading ALSA
and friends.  But now it's back again, on a machine that's caused me nothing
but grief so far.

Initially I was trying to use an onboard SB Audigy 24bit with ALSA.  Sadly
recording is not supported.  Then I tried OSS, but despite claiming support
for recording, it doesn't work.

So I've bought a Terratec USB 5.1 MkII card (all PCI slots are used by capture
cards) which uses the generic snd-usb-audio driver.  Using ALSA rat leaves me
shafted, as it doesn't even start up with a failed assertion.  I might poke at
this later although I suspect this is a painful road.

Using OSS rat with ALSA (using OSS emulation) works, and recording works
perfectly.  Playback however is shoddy, with it sounding warbled.  As far as I
can gather it's trying to repair the audio (as it sound different with
different repair schemes) but there's no packet loss.  If I add redundancy to
the stream, the audio sounds fine, as does it if I drop to 8kHz.

Neither of these are a solution though.  Anyone got any suggestions as to how
to fix this?

jh

--
"Come friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!
  It isn't fit for humans now,