[AG-TECH] Programming course via the AG, advice sought ...

Darran Edmundson darran.edmundson at anu.edu.au
Fri Aug 12 08:29:06 CDT 2005

Hi All,

Next month I'll be teaching an introductory python course via
the AG to 12 participants scattered around Australia (2 students
maximum at any one node).  I've taught the material before - no
problem there - but never via the AG.  My normal way of teaching
programming courses is:

1) 5-10 minute discourse by me on some topic
         2) set a related task that takes about 10-15 minutes, students
             work individually but are encouraged to ask questions.
        3) stop and discuss when 2/3 of students are done.  Explain my
            solution, ask for other approaches,  bring everyone up to
speed
           (remember, 1/3 of class didn't finish) and synchronize
everyone
           to my source file.
        4) Back to Step (2) until we've developed a meaningful piece
of code
5) Back to Step (1) ....

In terms of interaction:
    - need to see student's editor and code output for 1-on-1 debugging
    - occasionally show a student's solution on class projector
    - I often stand and point at code on the class projector and draw
      on the whiteboard

Given the above, I'd really appreciate hearing from people who
have taught a programming (or similar) course via the AG.  How
to adjust my teaching style and/or configure the AG to best
teach such a course?  I look forward to hearing about your
experiences ...

Cheers,
Darran.

Darran Edmundson (darran.edmundson at anu.edu.au)
ANU Supercomputer Facility Vizlab
Australian National University, Canberra, ACT 2600
tel: +61 2 6125-0517  fax: +61 2 6125-5088