[AG-TECH] Re: Certificates

Christoph Willing willing at itee.uq.edu.au
Sun Aug 7 22:10:51 CDT 2005

On 08/08/2005, at 12:19 PM, Peter DeSantis wrote:

> So what can you do with a normal certicificate that you cant do with a
> anonymous one.

You can enter a room for which entry is restricted to specific identity
certificates

> Aside from the physical login restrictions at the users end, what is a
> security certificate for and do you need it to access rooms

As above, you may need it to access _some_ rooms. This isn't widely
used AFAIK, but you could imagine that for some meetings (medical,
government etc.), you wouldn't want anyone to just drop in.

chris

> [...]
>

> Hi Vic:
>
> See comments inline...
>
> Victor Babson wrote:
>> Hey Ivan,
>>
>> Thanks for the response. Stay outta this. It's `tween me and Tom! :)
>>
>> Seriously, I did make a note in my documentation that turn around
>> time is
>> usually within a few hours but will take longer if requested during
>> the
>> weekend. Even so, if I didn't send an email, when do you think I
>> would have
>> gotten my cert?
>
> There are three of us signing certs. Under normal circumstances, this
> should result in certs being signed about once each day. Sometimes it
> takes longer. I'm sure your cert would have been signed on Wednesday
> morning, which woulda been 48-49 business hours from the request.
>

>> I hope this isn't coming across as negative or pushy, or rude. You
>> both
>> should know me enough to realize I'm not like that. I'm just
>> wondering the
>> best way to address this.
>
> Oh, yes, I know you better than that. No problem, Vic.
>

>> Is there a spool of sorts that someone makes an effort to view and
>> sign
>> certs every other day? It could be a misconstrued view I have, but
>> I've
>> seen posts where it seems some requests had slipped through the
>> cracks. Is
>> the best plan to wait? I can write the documentation to say request
>> cert
>> and wait until it's signed. But what if a week goes by and the user
>> still
>> has no cert. You know I would write you :) but a first-time user to AG
>> might see this as normal.
>
> You'll never wait a week for a cert. In the great majority of cases, we
> sign certs according to the schedule we've claimed. There are
> occasional slips. Some of the mail you see also results from other
> problems, such as people jumping the gun (I requested my cert this
> morning, where is it?), a cert request that has been denied but the
> person hasn't found the notice in his mail, etc.
>
> The upcoming 2.4 release will include automatic request/retrieval of an
> anonymous cert, so users won't be faced with the burden of waiting two
> days for an identity cert before they can use the software. This should
> simplify things to some extent (and will affect the document you're
> writing). With the 2.3 software, an anonymous cert can be requested
> manually, retrieved immediately, and used in exactly the same manner as
> an identity cert.
>
> If you have any other concerns, let me know.
>

>> Give me two more pence and I'll leave you alone.
>>
>> Thanks again and keep up the tremendous job!
>>
>> --Vic
>>
>> P.S. Tom, you gonna let this guy speak for you or what? :)
>
> Not for me, but for project-related stuff, sure: He's pretty

Christoph Willing                        Ph: +61 7 3365 8350
QPSF Access Grid Manager
University of Queensland