[AG-TECH] Quad Capture card performance

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Apr 25 07:14:39 CDT 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Natalia Costas Lago wrote:

> We are about to purchase a Spectra8 capture card or Winnov Videum 4400. It's
> a very good point not to have to use 4 PCI buses, that's what I like most of
> both cards, however I am concerned to performance issues, I mean, a PCI bus
> allows 132 Mbps more or less, and the Spectra8 delivers 4 videostreams at
> 30fps 768x576 (it can be less, that's the worst case) (similar values for
> the Videum 4400 card). So, it seems to me that the PCI bus cannot transmit
> so much information, that means, does it drop frames? Maybe I cant get the
> highest resolution at 30fps (25fps for the Winnov card)?.

It won't be 30fps at 768x576 will it?  That's PAL resolution at NTSC frame
rates.  If you drop that to 25fps, the back of my envelope looks like you'd
indeed be rather close to 32 bit PCI limits.  The 4400 supports 64bit PCI,
thus solving that problem.

jh

--
"A fanatic is a person who can't change his mind and won't change the
  subject."                                           -- Winston Churchill