[AG-TECH] Quad Capture card performance

Natalia Costas Lago natalia at cesga.es
Mon Apr 25 06:17:06 CDT 2005

Dear all,

We are about to purchase a Spectra8 capture card or Winnov Videum 4400. It's a very good point not to have to use 4 PCI buses, that's what I like most of both cards, however I am concerned to performance issues, I mean, a PCI bus allows 132 Mbps more or less, and the Spectra8 delivers 4 videostreams at 30fps 768x576 (it can be less, that's the worst case) (similar values for the Videum 4400 card). So, it seems to me that the PCI bus cannot transmit so much information, that means, does it drop frames? Maybe I cant get the highest resolution at 30fps (25fps for the Winnov card)?.

Does anyone know how these matters are handled? Does performance issues exist?
Has anyone tried those cards at maximum frame rate and maximum resolution at the same time? (4 video inputs simultaneously).

Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards,
Natalia.

Natalia Costas Lago
email: natalia at cesga.es

Centro de Supercomputacion de Galicia (CESGA)
Avenida de Vigo, s/n Campus Sur
15706 Santiago de Compostela - SPAIN
Tel:   +34  981 56 98 10
Fax:  +34  981 59 46 16