[AG-TECH] Multicast Issues

Jim Miller jmiller at insors.com
Tue Apr 19 13:32:24 CDT 2005

Just to clarify Mike's comments.  When using our bridge (unicast), you are
reliant on multicast from our server (in Chicago) to the other multicast
sites.  If other sites are bridging using another bridge (an NCSA AG2 venue
for instance), then the multicast would need to be stable between the two
bridge locations.  We are launching an inSORS server on an Internet2 site
(through the Internet2 Commons Hosted Environment Project) which will
improve multicast reliability from our bridge.  More on this when we
finalize testing of the new server.

If everyone uses the same bridge, then it is unicast to everyone.  This puts
heavy bandwidth and processing at the server site but is the most reliable.
AG2 Toolkit sites cannot use an inSORS bridge unfortunately (for now at
least).  inSORS site can connect an AG2 bridge through Manual Bridge option
if you know the ip and ports for the particular venue.