[AG-TECH] OSX shared apps

Justin Binns binns at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Apr 7 10:11:31 CDT 2005

I'd guess, from your description, that you're using agpm.py manually to
install the app packages.  What's happening is that the shared
application database is getting the 'wrong' python interpreter - if you
do 'which python' on a mac, you get (after resolving soft links)
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/bin/python,
which, while it can start a wxPython app, has no access to the UI, so
the GUI windows will never get focus.  If you do 'which pythonw' you get
(after resolving soft links) a script, which executes a different
interpreter, namely,
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python
Only the second one (the one you get with 'pythonw') is able to actually
run python apps with a GUI correctly.  The easy solution here is to
always run agpm.py with pythonw instead of python (except on Linux,
where there is no such beast).  Hope that helps ;-)

Justin Binns