[AG-TECH] AG 2.3 on RedHat 9

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Wed Sep 29 21:35:10 CDT 2004

Hi Andrew,

> A quick note re. installing AG 2.3 on RedHat 9 (still one of our standard
> desktops):
>
> FC1 Packages from http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~grangenet/ag_fedora/  (thanks
> Doug)
>  wget -r -nd -np -A rpm \
>    http://www.itee.uq.edu.au/~grangenet/ag_fedora/FC1/stable/RPMS/
>
> rpm -Uvh PyXML-0.8.3-1.i386.rpm (upgrade to PyXML-0.8.3-1.i386.rpm from
>   FC1 distribution)
> rpm -hi *.rpm  (install most 2.3 packages normally)
> rpm -hi AccessGrid-2.3-3.i386.rpm --nodeps
> (python-2.2.3 requires libdb-4.1, don't want to go there as sendmail etc.
>  use db4)

I've put up a new AccessGrid-2.3-4.i386.rpm in the FC1/RPMS dir which has
dropped the python >= 2.2.3 requirement. So --nodeps hopefully shouldn't be
required on RH9. (I didn't increase the AccessGrid RPM revision number to
avoid FC1 up2date users being notified of an update which has no impact on
them.)

> Use Rat from AG 2.1 or 2.2 (rat-media won't work on RH9 - maybe
>     due to Alsa patch)

Could be, one person I know using FC1 without the alsa driver installed
reported that the rat GUI wasn't coming up, but I wasn't able to reproduce
the problem. Some people also reported that compiling rat with an older gcc
fixed the problem.

> - copy /etc/AccessGrid/NodeServices/AudioService.zip from
> AccessGrid-2.2-6
>
>  - horrible hack to get 2.2 into tempdir/etc as non-root user :
>  rpm -r tempdir -i AccessGrid-2.2-6.i386.rpm --nodeps \
>    --relocate=/=tempdir 2>/dev/null
>  cp tempdir/etc/AccessGrid/NodeServices/AudioService.zip \
>    /etc/AccessGrid/NodeServices
>  rm tempdir/*
> or just install the 2.2 rpm normally, grab AudioService.zip then upgrade
> to 2.3 ...
>
> using this recipe, the venueclient and media seem to work, at any rate

Glad to hear, thanks for the RH9 recipe.

Thanks,
Doug