[AG-TECH] Best single machine *Linux* hardware setup

Adam Taylor accessgrid at ulm.edu
Mon Sep 27 13:13:40 CDT 2004

Hi all.

We are using a QUAD(PCI) Quatro4 450(nvidia) from PNY as our Display
card(under XP but have heard that it also works under linux).  IT has 64 Mb
DDR ram (16Mb X 4 screens).   I have also seen this somewhere at 128 Mb.  I
didn't have much of a benchmark to use on it but I did install Microsoft
flight simulator 2004 and cranked everything up as high as it would go and
got about 12-14 FPS.  I thought that was good for having the whole thing
running on three of the four heads via good old PCI.

BTW, large scale display + flight simulator = WOW :-)

As far as the computer goes, a dual as high as you can get with 2Gb of ram
or higher(the more the better) should be fine for any single computer
application.  And as far as capture cards, we use pinnacle PCTV-PRO cards.
The cards are PCI but also work in PCI-X slots too(winTV's don't....atleast
the ones that we have).

Just putting in my 2 cents

Adam Taylor
Computing Center