[AG-TECH] Best single machine *Linux* hardware setup

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 10:28:11 CDT 2004

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Osland, CD (Chris)  wrote:

>> Is the Rushmore significantly nicer than the G200 MMS?
>
> Anything's nicer than the G200, IMHO!  Good in its day, which was
> some years ago.

;)  Indeed, but the card specced on the ultimate machine was hardly a beast as
far as 3D goes.  At the moment we have a parhelia, which shows substandard
build quality, combined with a G450 PCI dual-head.

>> What's suitable for video capture?
>
> Looking at our Linux box doing video capture under Linux on a
> single processor Athlon XP1600, it took about 8-10% per stream.
> So half an XP1600 was enough for 4 streams, using Hauppage
> cards.  Haven't used Winnov Videum under Linux, so can't give
> you a figure for that.

My question was more what Video Capture device people find gives them joy
under linux.  We've got a load of WinTV affairs with our current rig, but was
wondering what shiny toy people play with in the modern world...

> I'm not a Linux-savvy person, but if Linux can handle multiple
> processors intelligently, I would have thought a twin 3 GHz
> machine with, say 2 Gb memory, and a decent display card would
> be fine.  I don't see that the overall parameters need be much
> different for Windows XP and Linux, although the detail may be
> as a result of driver availability or performance.

That's roughly my thinking.

Cheers,

jh

--
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it
  through not dying."                                 -- Woody Allen