[AG-TECH] Best single machine *Linux* hardware setup

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 27 10:20:35 CDT 2004

> Is the Rushmore significantly nicer than the G200 MMS?

Anything's nicer than the G200, IMHO!  Good in its day, which was
some years ago.

> What's suitable for video capture?

Looking at our Linux box doing video capture under Linux on a
single processor Athlon XP1600, it took about 8-10% per stream.
So half an XP1600 was enough for 4 streams, using Hauppage
cards.  Haven't used Winnov Videum under Linux, so can't give
you a figure for that.

I'm not a Linux-savvy person, but if Linux can handle multiple
processors intelligently, I would have thought a twin 3 GHz
machine with, say 2 Gb memory, and a decent display card would
be fine.  I don't see that the overall parameters need be much
different for Windows XP and Linux, although the detail may be
as a result of driver availability or performance.

Cheers

Chris

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of
the intended recipient only.  If you are not the intended recipient
do not take any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]