[AG-TECH] SharedApp on non-venue-client machine?

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Sep 22 01:17:00 CDT 2004

Hey Markus,

I would love to see this discuss very broadly so we can come up with a set
of requirements to solve this problem once. This task is something that we
won't be able to tackle in the current dev cycle (we have a lot on our plate
now that should make things significantly better),  but we have been
discussing it as one of the areas that needs attention very soon, for
various reasons.

This has also come up in EVL's SC Global presentation, and it has appeared
in various other places as well.

Here are the considerations that I think need to be remembered:

1) How do you do this kind of thing generically (ie, what if the software
needs user input, has a UI, etc)
2) How do you limit the execution to trusted code? or otherwise limit the
liability of potentially running arbitrary code on any machine in your node?
3) Can these apps/services be launched or controlled by users elsewhere?
4) What's the minimum interface that is needed to explore these issues?

--Ivan