[AG-TECH] Jabber Available!

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Sep 17 13:58:52 CDT 2004

Hello everyone,

Here's some information regarding Jabber, the chat tool that we will be
using for SC Global.

For general information about Jabber, go to
http://www.jabber.org/about/overview.php
For those of you who are already familiar with Jabber, here's the quick list
of servers and ports:

General AG Jabber Server: 	jabber.mcs.anl.gov, port 5222, port 5223 for
SSL
Group Chat:				conference.mcs.anl.gov, (there is
already a room named meadow)

Now here's the detailed instructions for the rest of us.....:)

You can download a jabber client at: http://www.jabber.org If you follow the
link on the left column under Software called "clients", you will see a long
list of jabber clients.  The client that many of us are running is Psi, it
runs on linux as well as windows, and it is freely distributed.  You can
choose whatever client you wish, however, if you are a beginner at this, you
might want to stick with something that most others will have.  The
instructions that follow are for the PSI client.....you're on your own if
you choose something else.

Download and install the PSI client on your machine.  When you get to the
Choose Components screen, I disable the Automatic startup but you might want
to have Psi fire up everytime you log in.

The first time you launch Psi, you will see a window titled Open Profile.
Select the "Profiles" button at the bottom of the window.  The next window
that opens is the Manage Profiles window.  Select "New". The next window is
the New Profile window.  Type in a profile name (whatever you choose) and
select "Chat".  You can also enable emoticons here.  When you are finished,
click "Create".

Back on the Open Profile window, the newly created profile is listed.
Select "Open".  This brings up an annoying little "Useful tips Page" which
you can disable...and two other windows.  The Psi window will be your main
menu type of window.  In the New Account window, type in a name you would
like to call your account.  Select "register this account" if this is the
first time you created this account.  On the Register Account Page, type in
a Jabber ID (a name you want to be called on Jabber in the format
username at jabber.mcs.anl.gov) and a password.  Select "Manually Select Server
Host/Port" and type in host box  jabber.mcs.anl.gov, and in the port box
5222.  If you select "Use SSL encryption (to server) use the following port:
5223. Click "register" when you are finished.

Once you have created your account, go back to the Psi main window.  Your
name should appear in the list next to a gray star (this means you are
offline).  At the bottom of this window are two buttons.  The status button
on the lower right displays your current status.  Click on this button to
display a drop down menu.  When you select "Online" you will be connected to
the jabber server at Argonne, and you little star will turn yellow.  The
other button will give you additional menu options.

Select join group chat to join everyone else in the meadow. Type in host
name "conference.mcs.anl.gov" , room is "meadow", and any nickname you would
like to be know by in that room.  This will bring up a window that might
look familiar to you....just type in the lower box, it will be display your
text in the top box along with other peoples text.  The list on the right
will show you who's in that room with you.

Try this tool out - we will be using it during the testing sessions from now
on, so you will have lots of practice before SC Global!

These instructions will be available from
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/fl/research/accessgrid/software/jabber.html

--Ivan

PS -- I'm sending this so you all consider this official, but all the work
of writing these instructions was done by Cindy Sievers. I'll take the blame
for any mistakes, but you should all appreciate the work she put into making
this happen. She's kept it from getting stuck in my queue. Thanks Cindy!