[AG-TECH] Transparency and the AccessGrid

Steve Smith ssmith at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Wed Sep 8 00:19:40 CDT 2004

Hi All,

I've been playing about with the the new X.org xserver features to see
if it works with the AccessGrid video-streams, and I thought people
might be interested to the see the results:

	http://people.vislab.usyd.edu.au/~ssmith/xorg-trans/

As you can see, transparency works well, and could be useful on a
crowded desktop.  It's also fast when using the Nvidia drivers with
xrender acceleration.  One thought is it may be useful to add a
"tranparent" button to stream window to toggle this on and off when it's
more widespread.  Currently virtually all distributions are due to move
to X.org, so this is pretty-much inevitable.

It may also be possible to do this on MacOS X, but I haven't tried.

Cheers,
Steve