[AG-TECH] which version of python?

Douglas Kosovic douglask at itee.uq.edu.au
Tue Oct 26 00:58:27 CDT 2004

Hi Pritesh,

> I'm a newbie to accessgrid. i browsed around the website
> http://www.accessgrid.org, and had some questions. The operating system
> that i'm using is NetBSD. I was wondering as to which version of python,
> python - 2.2 or python 2.3, do i use? and whether this should be compiled
> with pthreads, or without pthreads. will i need gcc and if so, which
> version? Can anybody help me out with this and any suggestions in getting
> started?

Use the version of Python, g++ and gcc that comes with the platform. If it's
Python 2.2.3 or newer, you should be okay.

I think a NetBSD port is going to be a cross between the existing Linux and
MacOS X/darwin AGTk code and some specific NetBSD porting, for example the
Video4Linux device discovery code in the following file:
  AccessGrid/AccessGrid/Platform/unix/Config.py
will need to be ported to the equivalent NetBSD API used by vic.

Doug