[AG-TECH] AG 2.0 and VRVS vic and rat and other ramblings

Douglas Baggett dbaggett at cise-nsf.gov
Thu Oct 21 12:02:26 CDT 2004

I've been evaluating which software to use for my desktop users and have
been quite impressed with the work the VRVS people have done with
vic/rat and software installation and ease of use. My question has to do
with the differences and advantages/disadvantages with going with VRVS
for desktop use to access grid meetings vs standard AG 2.x  vs Insors
(any suggestions or experiences greatly appreciated!). Also, have there
been any discussions with the VRVS folks about the changes they've made
to vic and rat and possibly taking advantage of their work (and of
course helping them as well in the opposite direction) to improve the
version of vic and rat used in AG? Just a cursory search of the mailing
list reveals some other vic forks (other than VRVS) as well to add MPEG4
and other stuff (OpenMash and others).

The added fact that InSors develops their own video software seems like
we are headed down a road where the least common denominator will start
to influence what kind of advanced video features are available. It
looks like MANY people want the same set of features (MPEG4, H.264,
possibly HDTV....) but people are going down their own road, which leads
to incompatible versions of vic using higher quality codecs and resolutions.

Thanks for all the great work!

-Doug
--
Douglas Baggett