[AG-TECH] Build your own versus inSors

Fred Dech fdech at uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 13 09:43:49 CDT 2004

On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 02:50PM, Osland, CD (Chris)  said:
> We are about to replace our ageing 3-computer main AG system with a
> single computer solution.  Two scenarios present themselves:
>
> 1. Build our own (DIY) (like last time) and run AG 2.3 + the goodies
>
> 2. Buy from inSors and (at present) run their modified AG 1
>
> I don't believe that Venue Servers are an issue: there seem to be
> enough to go round, and even ones in the UK should the pipe
> across the big pond get clogged or broken!
>
> To keep the discussion clean, can I just ask whether "going for
> inSors" would prevent us from running any apps, bolt-ons or
> plug-ins (Shared <xyz>, JABBER, etc..) that are rapidly becoming

hi Chris.

our conference room node is running on an InSORS cube.  we currently have
both AG 2.1.2 w/InSORS plugin and AG 2.3 'pure' co-existing.
we run both ...not at the same time, though ;^)
AG 2.3 correctly handles the Winnov Vidium 4400.
inSORS doesn't prevent you from running shared apps.  InSORS builds in
some high-level tools (e.g., serial camera control interface) that are nice.
there are some feature differences between InSORS enabled and pure AG app.

--fred