[AG-TECH] [Patch] Big Linux fixup patch

Steve Smith ssmith at vislab.usyd.edu.au
Thu Nov 25 19:02:07 CST 2004

> We have an AMD64 Shuttle cube on order, so this is great news!

Yeah, cute aren't they.  However the 64-bit port isn't perfect yet, I'm
getting choppy sound off the network; I suspect there are other 32-bit
centric assumptions in the Rat code I haven't tracked down yet.

> Have you ascertained whether new patched rats are completely
> compatible with current rats? I'm guessing mbus changes won't matter
> because its used for communications between rat threads on the same
> machine.

That's correct.  The mbus is trivial to test as it either works or it
doesn't (and it didn't :)

> On the other hand, RTP packets are being exchanged between all rats
> in a particular session, so structure changes may be a problem, even
> 32bit old <-> 32bit new.

The structural changes are purely internal to let the compiler know what
it actually wants. I've tested it with unencrypted packets on the live
AG and it seems to be working fine.  I haven't tested it in an encrypted
session yet, but I'll see if I can have a look at that next week.
However the encryption system within the current AG framework is of
minimal value (or even negative value, as it gives a false sense of
security where none exists) so it's not a high priority.  Note I haven't
touched the Rijndael code in Rat (yet).

Cheers,
Steve