[AG-TECH] FW: BOUNCE ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov: Non-member submission from [Many Ayromlou <mayromlo at ryerson.ca>]

Ivan R. Judson judson at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Nov 16 12:36:51 CST 2004

-----Original Message-----
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 12:01:35 -0500
From: Many Ayromlou <mayromlo at ryerson.ca>
Subject: Full Screen Vic
To: ag-tech <ag-tech at mcs.anl.gov>, ag-art <ag-art at accessgrid.org>
Cc: Tim Jackson <tajackso at scad.edu>, Ron Rankine <rrankine at ryerson.ca>

Hi All,

After meeting with the AG-Art group at SC2004, it became clear that
something strange had happened to my posting from 2 years ago announcing a
revamped version of vic we had developed in house.

Since almost everyone in the group wanted to find out about it, I'm
reposting the link to this version.

https://venueserver.rcc.ryerson.ca/downloads/vic-2.8ucl-1.1.3-
ryerson.tar.gz

Keep in mind that this version was developed when AG was still in 1.0 realm.
What that means is that it works properly, but is obviously not integrated
into AG as a service or anything. I've included the compiled version +
source in the package (yeah you also get all the .o files....hehehe). It
will compile on Suse 9.1 and 9.2 for sure (We originally wrote it on Suse
7.3 I believe so it should compile on older versions as well). My version of
the executable (under vic directory) should also work (just in case you run
into trouble compiling it from scratch).

This version is really meant for either a Display machine and/or another
machine to record stuff offline (through the svideo output of a graphics
card for example). Everything works pretty much as standard vic, except
clicking on stamp sized video's does not open new windows.
When you run the software from command line (vic -t 127
ipmulticastaddress/port), there is a fullscreen button that brings up a
dialog asking for the following:

1) # of screens: This is the physical number of screens you want to span (#
of heads). For a full blown node this will be 4 (1 for monitor
+ 3 projectors)
2) Video's/Screen: simple enough....if you choose 3 screens above and choose
4 video's/screen you end up with a 6 by 2 presentation (6 columns, 2 rows).
3) width/height: how tall/wide is the canvas to be (ie: for 3 projectors at
1024x768 it will be 3072x768)
4) x offset/y offset: where to start the canvas (ie: if you have a quad
headed machine with 3 projectors and your admin screen is screen 1 running
at 1280x1024 then that will be the offsets.

The easiest setup (to test) is to get a linux box going with dual head
working (say 2x1024x768 screens). Run the software from screen 1 (main
screen) and tell it to use 1 display and 16 video's with a width/height of
1024x768 at an offset of 1024x768. This should create a 4x4 grid on your
second display that covers the entire display area.

These modifications were done about 2 years ago as the need arose for our
performace group (synthops) to record it's performances on DV tape for
offline viewing. We wanted to have a clean interface with no widgets on it
so this is what we developed. I'm providing the software AS IS meaning that
I probably won't have time to provide much support for it (I can answer the
occasional questions). The student who did the modifications was under a
tight deadline so as you might have noticed he was not able to create a
patch file. In a way he's ended up with another fork for the software. The
modifications were written by Ben Bogart during his time with SynthOps. We
are releasing our modifications to the software under it's original license.

Thanks,
Many Ayromlou