[AG-TECH] Firefox, XUL and the future of AG

Douglas Baggett dbaggett at cise-nsf.gov
Tue Nov 16 10:46:39 CST 2004

So I've been playing around with Firefox/Mozilla lately trying to wrap
my mind around creating applications with XUL and started to think how
interesting and/or convienient it would/could be to have a venue client
written in XUL.

Now of course that would take A LOT of work. But I was curious just to
see if any of the developers on the AG list have thought about XUL (what
their opinions are) and how it might make for an interesting interface
application to middleware (AG as an example).

If any of you are NOT familiar with the XUL application framework in
Mozilla/Firefox, here is a short primer.

http://xulplanet.com/tutorials/whyxul.html

and a sample application which acts as an interface to Amazon.com using

http://www.faser.net/mab/remote.cfm

Of course you need to run it in Mozilla or Firefox, but as I understand
it you can make a standalone app.

-Doug B

p.s. Any opinions are mine and are NOT of NSF. :)