[AG-TECH] Echo cancelling mics

jwharrison at insors.com jwharrison at insors.com
Mon Nov 8 16:30:06 CST 2004

Hi Jason,

I have used both the Accumic II and the ClearMic extensively, and I think they
are both capable systems.  The Accumic is made by ClearOne (formerly Gentner),
which is a leader in the industry.  It is actually 3 independent unidirectional
microphones with three independent noise AND echo cancellers.  It has an
excellent response--even for sounds that are farther away.  If you use an
Accumic, be careful with the pins on the plug.  They bend easilly.

GlobalMedia's ClearMic is a single omni-directional microphone with no
noise-cancellation (only echo-cancellation), and it is intended for single users
(or very small groups.)  It tends to distort when there is a lot of background
noise or in large rooms when sounds are far away, and it loses definition when
you have several people speaking at once.  If you use a ClearMic, I would advise
that you be careful with the attached plugs on the back because I have heard that
they can detatch from the internal printed circuit board with enough force.
Also, GlobalMedia has a version of the ClearMic with a convenient built-in USB
camera for your PIG.

Of course the Accumic is more expensive, so there is a trade-off between quality
and price.

There are no *working* software echo-cancellation apps available at this time.
There was a project at U Queensland, but nothing in production yet.
(http://www.acmc.uq.edu.au/Projects/GeoffEricksson.htm

I hope this helps

John Harrison
inSORS Integrated Communications