[AG-TECH] Multicast Latency

Markus Buchhorn Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 2 23:56:08 CST 2004

At 10:32 AM 2/11/2004 -0800, Nate McQueen wrote:
>What is the best tool for testing latency on a multicast network from one AG node to another?

vic and rat both have stats on traffic received from other sites, which you can use I think. Bear in mind that each site will have its own latency values. vic has a nice stats section that lets you watch parameters as values and as graphs over time. I don't have access to vic right at the moment, but on the thumbnail view select info and rtp-stats or similar, and then click on a term in the table that pops up to graph it.

Otherwise mtrace way work for you (haven't tried it for a long time). Or at worst, ping. In theory, in an ideal world, multicast packets will take (much) the same path as unicast, so ping could give you a hint. Except people nowadays throttle ping traffic <sigh>.

Hmm, does the beaconserver show latencies/rtts? Requires a bit more effort, but it's worthwile.

Cheers,
        Markus

Markus Buchhorn, ANU Internet Futures             |Ph: +61 2 61258810
Markus.Buchhorn at anu.edu.au                        |Fx: +61 2 61259805
The Australian National University, Canberra 0200 |Mob: 0417 281429