[AG-TECH] Re: Hardware Recommendatin Sought

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Tue Nov 2 10:02:40 CST 2004

Following discussion with a few others on the list, I am about
to put together:

	Iwill DK8X dual Opteron motherboard
		memory slots 4+4, PCI-X, AGP 8x, AC'97 audio, Gb E'net,
		Firewire (2x400), USB (4x2.0), SATA RAID(unused)
	Two Opteron 246s or 248s
	2x1Gb PC3200 memory
	Matrox G750 (AGP) + G450 (PCI) display
		or Matrox QID (AGP version)
	Winnov Videum 4400 VO video capture
	Silen-X 600W quiet PSU

It was a close contest between that and the Tyan K8W (S2885), but
that has 5 USB 1.1 ports, rather than 4 USB 2.0 ports, and is
virtually the same price (£12 difference: £350 vs £362).  The
rest of their specs are almost clones of each other.

I'm not totally certain of Matrox QID support yet, so we'll
have the G450+G750 as backup.

My hope is that this will have enough 'grunt' to deal with our
largest meetings when they are encrypted; time will tell.

We'll be running XP, not Linux, but at the level of performance
that should make little difference: the only question is
which OS has the better device driver support.

HTH

Chris

Chris Osland                                               Office tel: +44
(0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid                          Medialab tel: +44 (0)
1235 446459
BIT Department                                     Access Grid room tel: +44
(0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk                                       Fax: +44
(0) 1235 445597
CCLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK
[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of the
intended recipient only.
If you are not the intended recipient do not take any action on it or show
it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]