[AG-TECH] Multicast statistics

Williams S.R. S.R.Williams at Swansea.ac.uk
Fri May 28 04:23:34 CDT 2004

Hi All

We are doing some work on providing 'protected' multicast for AG nodes as
well as other multicast services. Two things:

1) If anyone has had performance issues related to multicast we'd be very
interested to hear about them, especially if they are campus related. Also
if you have 'protected' your multicast in any way by using topology or
traffic engineering (VLAN, QoS) that would be interesting.

2) Also, we have packet dump data for AG conferences, in order to look at
packet burstiness etc, but would like some more just to be sure we have a
representative sample. If there is any chance that you could provide data
such as that from a:

snoop -r -tr -S [group address]

or

tcpdump -n host [group address]

i.e. basically with: timestamp, IP source, Group destination, packet length

These packet traces would be very useful to confirm our current data. Info
from test sessions, or from real conferences, would be useful - with
anything from two to 20 participants. None of the data given will be made
public - just the summary info. Please state how many participants and the
bandwidth used if possible.

The trace need only be 10 to 15 seconds long...

The final document will be publicly available of course...

Cheers

Steve

Steve Williams
Video Network Manager