[AG-TECH] How to know, in a script, that install-gt3 has properly worked ?

Joseph Pachod joseph at cs.usyd.edu.au
Wed May 5 23:13:58 CDT 2004

Hi all

I'm a student currently doing an internship in Vislab, at the University
of Sydney.

I need to write a script to automatically download, extract and install
gt3 (from the sources because I work on a Debian).

After having extracted the files, I must launch ./install-gt3 (..) then
./install-gt3-mmjfs (..). I would like to avoid to launch
install-gt3-mmjfs if install-gt3 has failed.

I thought to check the installed files in order to be sure everything has
been installed before launching install-gt3-mmjfs (..).

My trouble is that at the end of ./install-gt3 there is a call to
/sbin/gpt-postinstall which seems quite complex and doesn't modify the
files installed just before. So I don't know how to check if it has worked
properly or not, in order to be able to launch, or not, install-gt3-mmjfs .

BTW, in the scripts install-gt3 and install-gt3-mmjfs, exit is mostly used
without a number behind (exit 0) even if it exits because of an error, so
I can't use the return of these scripts to be sure they have properly
worked.

Thanks a lot for your help

Cheers,
      Joseph Pachod.