[AG-TECH] FYI - Kodak's 3-D display system

Osland, CD (Chris) C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 26 03:54:33 CST 2004

>  ... Hmm, after reading the web page fter starting to compose this,
> it's not quite so cool. a "host of others" is one-at-a-time,
> you have to
> peer through some "large" 32mm viewing pupils at a pair of
> LCD displays.
> Maybe I'll stick with geowall and polaroid glasses (conceptually, at
> least; we haven't tried putting one together)

Use circular polarized filters, not planar polarized.  That way the
viewers' heads can be other than vertical without L-R image
bleeding.  Our first wall was planar; our second used cilcular
and was much more acceptable.

If using front projection, remember the wall must be of a material
that preserves polarization - Harkness Hall do a suitable range.

Beware of the plane of polarization within LCD projectors - some
are suitable and some are not and you can only tell by testing -
the relevant info isn't in the manuals.  We got stuffed when we
took our system to an exhibition and hired in projectors from the
same firm as we had here, and found the models we had hired were
different.  On reflection, that was while we were still using
planar polarization - maybe it's not an issue with circular.

Cheers

Chris Osland

Chris Osland                         Office tel: +44 (0) 1235 446565
Digital Media and Access Grid      Medialab tel: +44 (0) 1235 446459
BIT Department             Access Grid room tel: +44 (0) 1235 445666
e-mail:   C.D.Osland at rl.ac.uk               Fax: +44 (0) 1235 445597

CLRC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (Bldg. R18)
Chilton, DIDCOT, Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

[The contents of this email are confidential and are for the use of
the intended recipient only.  If you are not the intended recipient
do not take any action on it or show it to anyone else,
but return this email to the sender and delete your copy of it.]